NOTE: All 12 open spots for Ignite presenters have been filled! Please join us to cheer them on!
Come join us for dessert and some late night, after-dinner tips, tricks, and fun! Or sign up to present 20 slides in 5 minutes. This has been a huge standing-room only hit for the past two years! This is your opportunity to have 5 minutes in the spotlight, in the relaxed and friendly confines of an after-hours get-together with your colleagues, and laugh your butts off.
When: Monday, June 16th, 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Where: The 5th floor ballroom at the Marriott Downtown Mag Mile (the conference hotel)
Who's Invited: All conference attendees, speakers, sponsors, paparazzi, etc.
We're putting on our fifth annual fun "IGNITE"-style show and need your help! Do you have ...
- An unusual design or production-related technique that you use?
- A "from the design trenches" anecdote to share — funny or serious?
- Some InDesign hard-won lessons you've learned? Or wish your clients would learn...
- Tips for getting the most out of a conference?
- An incredibly complex table you created, or special effect, or the world's best workspace?
- Advice for designers or computer users or ?
- Something else InDesign- or publishing-related that you're passionate about?
Yes? Then take this opportunity to share it with your colleagues in 5 minutes or less!
Sign-up for your slot below, but first read the rules:
- This event is mainly for ATTENDEES: No prior speaking experience required. The newbier the better. The audience is very supportive, not to worry.
- Create a series of exactly 20 pages or slides, which you will export to PDF and we’ll project it on screen during your talk. The first one’s your opener, the last one is your closer. Email the 20-page PDF to us or bring it with you on a USB Flash drive. Keep the slides simple!
- Be prepared to talk about your topic for 5 minutes while we project your slides on the screen.
- The slides will auto-advance every 15 seconds! That's the Ignite rule. And what makes it fun for the audience, too! 20 slides x 15 seconds = 5 minutes.
- When your 5 minutes are up, take a bow, enjoy the applause, and hand the mic back to the MC.
That's all... nice and simple! Fill out the form below to sign up for fame, fortune, and hilarity. (And did we mention all IGNITE speakers earn a special PePcon keepsake for their efforts?)
- See how "IGNITE" events got their start and watch some videos. Note that this is not an official IGNITE event, it's just in the same style and spirit, with an InDesign twist.
- How to Give a Great IGNITE Talk from someone who’s done a few
2014 INDESIGN IGNITE SIGN-UP SHEET
NOTE: All 12 open spots for Ignite InDesign 2014 presenters have been filled! See you on Monday night!
ATTENDEES: Please fill in your info below! In case too many people want to perform (we have a max of 12 slots), preference will be given to attendees, especially those who’ve never presented at IGNITE before. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org with IGNITE in the subject line.
SPONSORS: Would you like to take part? Great! Please mention that you're a sponsor in the Description field of the form below and we’ll add you to the list of Alternates. If we need you to fill up the 12-speaker roster, we’ll send you an e-mail about it the week before the show. Sponsors, we don’t have to tell you that your presentation can’t be about your product, right? Good. 😀
SPEAKERS/PANELISTS: My heavens, have you no shame? Aren’t you speaking enough? Okay, okay. If you want to do an IGNITE presentation, please email David or Anne-Marie. If our newbie attendees and sponsors turn out to be chicken, we may will call on you. 😉
We will e-mail everyone who proposed an IGNITE topic with the final list of IGNITE speakers by Monday, June 2.
Monday, 4 – 5 pm
What if you could simply export an InDesign document — with animations, multiple pages, slide shows and more — and make it available as a digital document on the web, iPad, and Android tablet. And what if it not only acted like a tablet app, but you could distribute it yourself without having to go through the Apple Store? This is not a fantasy, but a very real possibility today!
In this session you'll learn:
- What's the difference between Web apps and apps that you can make with DPS and similar solutions?
- What tools, service, and plug-ins help you create and publish your documents as HTML, such as in5, PhoneGap, Baker Framework, LiquidState, and others
- Dealing with offline storage
- Scaling your design to the device
Monday, 4 – 5 pm
Recent updates to Illustrator CC have fundamentally changed the way you can draw inside the program. Even if you’re not familiar with drawing in Illustrator (or you’ve abandoned trying to learn due to frustration with the pen tool), changes to the pencil tool, the round corners feature, and curve manipulation can open a whole new world for you. Join self-proclaimed (yet generally acknowledged) expert Deke as he shows you how to exploit these features to make illustrations you thought might be beyond your reach (or your patience.)
Monday, 4 – 5 pm
You want to start producing tablet publications, or you want to get better at it. Come see how others have done it, and learn from their wisdom (and mistakes)!
- Small design elements can make a big difference
- Workflows that work
- Maintaining your print design while taking advantage of new interactive features
Monday, 2:45 – 3:45 pm
It has never been easier to create an iPad app from InDesign! Learn the steps involved in making content-rich, interactive apps with Adobe InDesign and Digital Publishing Suite, Single Edition. Keith Gilbert will help you understand how to create your content and include interactivity and media, and help you avoid pitfalls when building and submitting your app to the App Store. Topics will include:
- Building engaging interactivity with Overlays
- What are the limitations of DPS Single Edition for both Creative Cloud and non-Cloud users
- What’s required to build an app for the iOS App Store
Monday, 2:45 pm
Learn the hottest tips and the coolest techniques in this fast-paced punchlist session by longtime industry stars David Blatner and Sandee Cohen. If you use Adobe InDesign, you won't want to miss this guide to laying out pages fast. Topics include:
- Five settings you need to change right now
- Where to get free keyboard shortcut charts
- Hidden features that can supercharge your layouts
- Essential tricks every InDesign user should know
Monday, 2:45 – 3:45 pm
The Amazon Kindle is the most popular ebook reader platform in the world (especially when you include not just the Kindle hardware but the popular Kindle software on the iPad). So if you're not publishing for Kindle, you're missing out on a huge market.
But there is no one method for "publishing to Kindle"… there are many types of Kindles and several formats you need to know about. And, to make things harder, Kindle does not support the EPUB format. Learn from an expert:
- how toconvert EPUB to a format Kindle can read
- best practices for exporting content from InDesign for Kindle
- what Amazon tools you should use (and which you can skip)
- where you need to tweak manually for optimal results
Monday, 1:30 – 2:30 pm
Maybe you've heard of GREP and wanted to learn more, or maybe even tried out a few GREP codes you found online and found how amazingly useful it is for finding, replacing, and formatting text. This fast-paced session will take you to the next level, exploring how GREP can be not only helpful, but even fun and amazing!
Erica and Bart will go head to head to demonstrate how they each harness the power and possibilities of GREP in InDesign. Using GREP on a sample project, they'll try to outdo each other by finding and manipulating patterns of text and show you how to speed up production of your InDesign files. If you've been using GREP for a while, or if you have been too intimidated by the name, this session will spark ideas for using GREP in your own projects.
Monday, 1:30 – 2:30 pm
The tablet publishing industry has exploded in the past four years, and you can't make a good choice about platform, tools, and workflow without knowing all the options. Join Fritz as he explores the big picture and offers insights on where we are and where we're headed.
- The Players: Adobe DPS, Twixl, MagPlus, App Studio, Aquafadas, and more!
- Subscription and Newsstand vs. Single App
- Major alternatives (including HTML5) you should consider